Looking for a non-surgical treatment to enhance volume and definition around the cheekbones or improve the appearance of deep nasolabial folds? Cheek filler corrects volume loss in the mid-face area, which is one of the first visible signs of aging. These dermal fillers contour and lift while smoothing out lines and creases.
Filler treatments at Dallas Dermatology Partners are a safe and effective way to subtly shape and add fullness to the mid-face for a more youthful and rested appearance. Our team will discuss the best approach to achieve natural results, whether you want to address flattened cheeks or age-related collagen loss. During the initial consultation, patients can review cheek filler before and after images to better understand real-life improvements from injectables like Restylane, Sculptra, Juvederm, and Radiesse.
Cheek filler is injected under the top layer of skin using a small needle or a fine, blunt-tipped cannula. It replenishes hyaluronic acid or collagen that gradually declines with age. By filling out hollow areas and lines between the nose and mouth, the gaunt look caused by fat loss is diminished, and facial harmony is rebalanced.
Non-smokers who are at least 18 years or older, in good health, and have realistic expectations are good candidates for cheek filler. If you have active skin infections, are pregnant, or breastfeeding, dermal fillers may not be appropriate.
Ideal candidates for cheek fillers include those who:
- Want more projection and fullness in the cheekbones
- Have hollow or flattened cheeks due to volume loss caused by aging
- Look deflated or gaunt in the face after significant weight loss
- Want to improve the appearance of pronounced smile lines or nasolabial folds
- Want to change mid-face contours for sharper definition and harmony
- Want to lift and enhance the contours of their cheeks and jawline
This in-office procedure lasts 20-30 minutes, depending on the number of injections. While some fillers have a built-in anesthetic, a topical numbing cream can also be applied for a virtually painless experience. Patients may sense pressure as the gel-like substance is placed under the skin, but the procedure is well-tolerated.
Some fillers, like Sculptra and Radiesse, have larger molecules and are thicker in consistency, allowing our dermatologists to sculpt and contour in small but measurable increments. Filler is placed in precise amounts and locations to restore volume, add structure, and plump smile lines according to custom treatment plans.
The duration of cheek filler depends on the type and quantity of filler injected, as well as your age and lifestyle. Some hyaluronic acid-based fillers can last 9 months, while others can last up to 2 years before being metabolized by the body and dissolved. One of the many benefits of cheek filler is that it’s not permanent and can be added in small amounts for subtle and natural-looking enhancements.
Another advantage of this procedure is that cheek filler recovery time is nominal as most patients can immediately return to normal routines. They also have a proven safety record and carry a low risk of adverse side effects or serious complications.
What to Expect After Cheek Filler
Patients will notice immediate improvements in the mid-face area, but it can take two full weeks to see final results as the filler settles in. Expect slight to moderate swelling. This inflammation can distort the shape of the cheeks, but this will resolve within a week or two. Cheeks will feel sore and tender, and some minor bruising or redness may also develop.
Cheek Filler Aftercare Tips
Our dermatologists will advise you on post-treatment aftercare following mid-cheek filler or upper cheek filler. In general, we recommend the following:
- Avoid make-up, alcohol, facial massage, or rigorous exercise for 48 hours
- Use cold packs as directed to minimize inflammation and tenderness
- Try to sleep on your back for the first few days to avoid pressure on newly placed filler
- Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen as this can worsen swelling and bruising
- Arnica pills may be used to clear bruises faster
- Avoid invasive skin or dental treatments for 4 weeks
- Contact Dallas Dermatology with any concerns following cheek filler for jowl tightening, volume loss, or wrinkles around the nose and mouth
Dermal Fillers for Cheeks in Dallas
As experts in facial anatomy and the latest injection techniques, the dermatologists at Dallas Dermatology Partners can help you reverse signs of aging and improve volume loss. Discuss your options for a cheek filler procedure by reaching out for a private consultation in our Addison, TX clinic.